Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hillary's speech

This is my fifth convention. I have heard a lot of speeches. I will always remember the Ted Kennedy speech of 1980 as the best speech I’ve ever heard, until now. I always thought that maybe I’m just getting older and it’s harder to move me. Hillary disproved that last night.
I thought it was the best, the most effective and most moving speech I’ve heard, period.
Can there possibly be any skeptics left who believe that she is not 100 percent behind Barack Obama?
It was particular important to me that both of my children, Kara and Eric, were there with me, and especially meaningful that my daughter witnessed this on the 88th anniversary of the enactment of the 19th amendment, which gave women the right to vote.
Hillary had to convince her supporters that we must back Obama. I did not need convincing, but I must admit that it was very difficult to come to the realization that Hillary’s campaign is truly over and the person who I still believe would have been a great president will not be president, at least for now.
I must also add, that although I thought the keynote speech by former Gov. Mark Warner was a dud, the Dems have many stars. Gov. Strickland, Gov. Patrick and especially Gov. Schweitzer of Montana come to mind. —Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz

No comments: